Grauman’s Chinese Theatre

The theatre was opened in 1927 by Sid Grauman. Originally named Grauman’s Chinese Theatre, it’s also been called Mann’s Chinese Theatre. Today its official name is TCL Chinese Theatre. Its original capacity was about 2,000, but it now seats roughly half that number because of its reconfiguration into IMAX format, the addition of an indoor concessions area and more comfortable, modern seats. The auditorium itself is the same size and still includes the original decorations.

The handprint ceremony started when Norma Talmadage accidentally stepped in wet cement in 1927. (See the picture below.) The first movie to be shown here was Cecil B. DeMille’s The King of Kings.

Click each photo for a larger version. (All photos are copyright Cameron Meier and may not be used without written permission and copyright credit.)

Chinese Theatre lionDSC00202DSC00210DSC00211 DSC00212DSC00213 DSC00214 DSC00216 DSC00220DSC00203 DSC00204 DSC00205 DSC00207 DSC00208DSC00219Dorothy dressGWTW curtain dress